Special Olympics Opening Eyes event will be held Saturday June 25, 2022, at Stillwater High School in Stillwater, MN.
The Opening Eyes Program is a detailed vision screening that provides education about vision conditions and free eyewear for athletes. You will receive training and experience in examination techniques for those with special needs. All athletes that fail our screening will be referred to a local eye doctor. Data gathered from the Healthy Athletes screenings will be entered into the largest database of health information in existence! This information will be used to advocate for improved health care policies for persons with intellectual disabilities.
Lunches will be provided.
We hope you will join us for this special experience. This is a great way to learn, share time with colleagues and volunteer your skills! It is an amazing event and experience that could not happen without the efforts of many volunteers.
The event will be from 8:30 to 5:30 (with athlete screenings between 9-4). You can volunteer for half-day (morning or afternoon) or full-day shifts. Family members can volunteer too for non-clinical positions.
Use this link to sign up:
The University of Minnesota Medical School mobile health initiative
If member doctors are interested in volunteering, they can contact Shahid Jaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The goal of the program is to provide comprehensive mobile vision care for underserved communities in Minnesota, with a current focus on the care of the migrant farmworker population in Southern Minnesota (specifically the communities in Elgin and Owatanna, MN). We work alongside the Tri-Valley Opportunity council, a community organization that focuses on the care of this population and run Head Start amongst a number of other programs.
- Saturday, June 4th: Dodge County Latino Festival and Health Fair (Dodge County MN)
- Saturday June 11th: CUHCC Lemonade Event (South Minneapolis, MN)
- Thursday June 23rd: Elgin Migrant Health Fair (Elgin, MN)
- Friday July 22nd: Owatanna Migrant Health Fair (Owatanna, MN)
- Saturday July 23rd: Elgin MIgrant Health Fair (Elgin, MN)
- Saturday August 13th: CUHCC Back to School Event (South Minneapolis, MN)
- Friday August 19th: Elgin Migrant Health Fair (Elgin, MN)
- Saturday August 20th: Owatanna Migrant Health Fair (Owatanna, MN)
Some Helpful Details
- The goal of the program is to provide comprehensive mobile vision care for underserved communities in Minnesota, with a current focus on the care of the migrant farmworker population in Southern Minnesota (specifically the communities in Elgin and Owatonna, MN). We work alongside the Tri-Valley Opportunity Council, a community organization that focuses on the care of this population and runs Head Start among a number of other programs.
- The program started last year with care limited to screening for refractive error with the use of an autorefractor. This year, the program is expanding to include trial frame refraction, slit lamp exam, eye pressure measurement, and dilated eye exam for patients with a known history of diabetes with an examination of the retina using BIO.
- The team is still in the midst of obtaining the equipment needed to be able to accomplish all these goals, if anyone is willing to donate or can help with connections that would be very helpful.
- Spanish translators will be available and Spanish proficiency is not required
- Medical students and volunteers will assist with check-in, visual acuity testing, and basic entrance testing
- The University of Minnesota medical school can reimburse for mileage driven to/from events (there are also options for carpooling from the cities if folks would be interested)
- There will be full support staff present at events (medical students, translators, electronic record) so folks who attend can focus solely on evaluating patients
- Even if you can only be there for part of the event, we'd still love to have them
- Finally, if this year's dates don't work out but they'd be interested in helping out in the future, they can certainly send me an email and I can be in touch with them about future events/planning